This week’s Wednesday post-day is short and sweet. No quirky intro; just a list of things I’ve been mentally adding to my own to-do list and things others around me have been adding to their own.
- Read. All. The. Things.
- Make friends (with people, not lab equipment).
- Impress your advisor.
- Find your advisor if he/she is or has gone missing.
- Start all the glorious research.
- Hunt down all the advice (like learning where the free pizza is or how not to throw your computer out the window trying to use an online textbook).
- Find your office.
- Set-up your office.
- (And if you’re feeling fancy) Get a name-tag for your office.
- Don’t get lost.
Be a cool TA. Not be an awful TA.Just get your students to turn in their assignments.
- Add “cheers” to the end of all your mass class emails (because you’re a classy individual).
- Take all the cool classes you couldn’t as an undergrad.
- Take less classes than you did as an undergrad.
- Find the BEST coffee.
- Find the nearest coffee.
- DRINK ALL THE COFFEE.
- Sniff out the free food.
- Go to the free food.
- EAT ALL THE FREE FOOD.
- Find the beer. And the bars. (Especially the Wisconsin bars).
- Learn all the matlab.
- Get all your keys.
- Don’t lose your keys.
- Write a clever blog about how super well-rounded you are (or just ramble on about silly things forever and ever).
- Mingle with the cooler, more experienced grad students.
- Find non-geologists to bug sometimes.
Exercise… ? Or just learn to bike to class without dying.
- Attend all the colloquiums.
- Go outside. Sometimes.
Have fun.Don’t cry.